We always thought the bartenders are so cool when they are shaking our cocktails behind the bar station, and amazed by their ability to remember all the cocktails recipe. Thanks to G Hotel this times, we get a trial to be a bartender in their Cocktail Making Contest with a group of media & bloggers at G Hotel Tree Bar! After that, we were given opportunity to sample almost all the delicacies in Tree Bar.
Thanks to G Hotel and Tree Bar for hosting us that evening
Thus when we see bottles of spirits and liquors on the bar station, we were out of speech. How we able to manage all those liquors and churn out a cup of aromatic cocktail by our own?
All these were well prepared by the G hotel team prior our arrival. Lets roll our sleeve and rock the party with some cocktails!
|We were served with some cocktails prior beginning of competition to make sure we can acquainted with cocktails.|
Then, Tree's Bar bartender, Mr. Helmi did a demonstration to showcase us how Mojito and Cranberry Margarita are done. We were allowed to make any notes or take videos but no peeping can be done during the competition!
As only one person may take part in the competition, the better student - Shirleen went on stage to shoulder this huge responsibility to make sure we emerge as the winner for the night. Actually, the night was full of fun that injected with laughter instead of a serious competition.
Shirleen did very well to follow all the steps demonstrated by Mr. Helmi with minimal flaw. To our fellow readers, we share the recipe here just in case you wanted to make your very own cocktails as well.
1) 4 slices of lime wedges
2) 10-15 pieces of mint leaves
3) 1 sachet of brown sugar
4) Mix the above 3 items into shaker
5) Muddle them by push and twist to compress everything
6) Measure 45ml of Havana rum using a jigger and pour into shaker
7) Measure 10ml of lemon juice using a jigger and pour into shaker
8) Add one scoop of ice
9) Shake the shaker
10) Pour the concoction into cup and top up with soda
11) Garnish with a piece of lime
1) Rub the sipping area of the cup with a lime slice
2) Dip the sipping area of the cup into a pool of salt
3) Measure 45ml of Olmeca Tequila using a jigger and pour into shaker
4) Measure 15ml of Bols using a jigger and pour into shaker
5) Measure 10ml of lime juice using a jigger and pour into shaker
6) Measure 45ml of cranberry juice using a jigger and pour into shaker
7) Add one scoop of ice
8) Shake the shaker
9) Pour the concoction into cup via the cocktail strainer to remove the ice
19) Garnish it with a piece of lime and cranberry
Tips: the more you shake and muddle, the better the taste could become
Here are some actions from the other bloggers and media members. Obviously all were having fun! After that, the judges from G Hotel constitute of Miss Christina, Mr. Helmi and Mr. Danson went around and sample our made cocktails. They even scent the cocktails as part of marks. We reckon they must have been experts in cocktails to do so.
Finally the results were unveiled by Miss Christina Tan. Shirleen managed to emerge as winner and get RM 300 of vouchers to be spend at Tree Bar! First runner up was Mr. Sivaji from where2magazine and Geylan from The Whole Enchilada was the second runner up. We all had fun and there were no winners and losers in fact as everybody manage to churn out two different cup of cocktails despite having little knowledge on it!
Tree Bar @ G Hotel
2 Persiaran Maktab, 10250 Penang, Malaysia
Operation hours: 12:00pm - 1:00am daily (till 2:00am on Fri & Sat)
For reservation: +604 238 0000
G Hotel Tree bar webpage
Location: Ground Floor, Alfresco